I recommend WordPress shamelessly – apart from being easy to use it also has the widest number of plug-ins available. Plug-ins are extras you install on your blog that take care of specific things for you and have special functions.
Many of them are exclusive to WordPress but these are the essential plug-ins I use are:
- Akismet – to catch all those spam comments;
- Blog editorial calendar;
- Tweetmeme retweet button;
- Tweet old posts;
- Facebook share;
- Sticky post so one blog post can be featured;
- Broken link checker;
- Contact commenters;
- Google XML site maps;
- Post plug-in library which can show similar posts, random posts or popular posts;
- Redirection to manage 301 redirects and monitor 404 errors when pages aren’t found;
- Secure WordPress;
- W3 total cache to improve site speed;
- WordPress print.
Google them and think about which plug-ins will help you blog smarter and make your blog more functional and fun.
Got questions or recommend other plug-ins you can’t live without? Leave a comment below.
Need more blogging help? Check out my workbook and audio book Successful Blogging in 12 Simple Steps.